Thursday, August 5, 2010

DAY 1 - GSMQT

After a full year of planning, countless emails, and many phone calls.....The Great Smoky Mountain Quilt Tour actually began today.....


This isn't the most appealing view of our Michelin 3 star hotel.......that's because I took it as I was parking the car behind the hotel where I realized I better get my feet shuffling back inside.....because .......

It was within 45 seconds of a drenching downpour. They don't last long but are impressive none the less......besides we need to rain.


One lobby featured this carpet.....does anyone else think it's very close to Piece of Cake designs?

Despite the rain.....all our our participants arrived in plenty of time for dinner followed by my lecture. Quilters represented all four corners of this country........Pacific NW, Sunny Fl, upstate NY, and the 'north woods of Wisconsin'.......plus one hearty soul from Australia!


Perfection......our center pieces were spider mums floating in a vase containing water and marbles, placed on a mirror....lovely

Each coarse was yummier than the previous........I had to grab my camera before I could dip into this yummy triple chocolate mousse covered with strawberry sauce, whipped creamed and various berries..........sooooo goood....


I've mentioned before what a hotel snob I am.......really.......When I saw my bed.....with 6 bed pillows.........what can I say.......I'm in heaven.


Then when we got back to our rooms.......we discovered they do turn down service.......the BEST......naturally the candy is appreciated, however having the trash taken out, TV turned on, the remote ready for you to use, clean towels, even bottle water..... I may never leave!!

But, yes we must.....tomorrow we head to Alliance for American Quilts for a lecture about this fabulous service, then we head over to the Asheville Quilt Show and finally......to experience Ashevilles Art after Dark.....where all the galleries are open ......I can hardly wait.....

Nite, nite
Your tour director.....Mary

1 comment:

Wendy said...

Oh Mary! Thank you so for posting about this! I really wanted to join in the tour, but couldn't make it...
And now i CAN, thanks to living vicariously through your blog!
=-)