Thanks to my several posts my blogger pal Robbie shared on her blog, the Fiber Junkies jumped on the bandwagon of 'string art'. None of us began with high exceptions but we all agreed at the end of the day that it was fun, yet with somewhat limited results.The premise is simple......coat string, twine, cording in some form of dye, ink, or in my case acrylic paint. Place on your print surface.....here I used a piece of National Nonwoven's Woolfelt.
Fold the fabric over the string, place in a heavy book and pull the string free. DO not stand on a book and try to pull the string out!! (The blue mop up cloth was a precaution to avoid getting paint on Judy's floor). It turns out that was unnecessary....guess I weigh too much to allow the string to come free!
Putting pressure on the top of the book while pulling the string worked best.
This approach yields mirror images.
I continued adding more designs with gray and then a metallic paint.This was my 2nd attempt....more is not always best...a real mess in my opinion.
I added dots with the tip of a paint brush to provide a little more interest for this my 3rd one.
Here's my best attempt. Gen was having great success with her designs by working on paper and carefully looping the string in circular shapes.....while arranging it in as much of a vertical placement as possible. When I followed her method on my wool felt, the prints were more defined...less messy.
Denny worked with disperse dyes on paper, then ironed it onto "Peach skin" fabric.This is one of Gen's.....she used felt marker applicators to add the dye to her string.
Our results varied not only by the placement of the string but the diameter and type of cord/string etc. used as well.
I love how Judy overlapped these two colors that were printed onto fabric. Will the Fiber Junkies do this again...probably not....but it was a really fun day.
Check out what other fiber lovers have been working on this week: Nina-Marie's Off the Wall Friday, and Sarah's Whoop, Whoop Friday.