Friday, August 6, 2010

DAY 2 - GSMAT

Day 2-----well.....we are having so much fun...


Our first stop today was the Alliance for American Quilts. Here Amy Milne is introducing the many programs that are supported by this non-profit association.

The timing of our visit couldn't have been better. We were able to hear the stories behind the quilts that will be auctioned to benefit their worthy projects. I hope you will consider bidding to own one of these marvelous quilts. The first auction begin Oct. 25th.


Next we headed to the Asheville Quilt Guild show. This might be a first.....the Best of Show was a miniature " Flip-Flop paper Piecing" made by Mary Kay Mounton, Miledgeville, GA.


Like so many of you attending a quilt show.....there are pieces that 'speak' personally to you. You may be surprised to learn what pieces speak to me..... If I made traditional quilts...I'd like to have the skill to create something similar..... "Appalachian Sunflower" by Debby Stone, Blowing Rock, NC.


Marjory Eberle, Weaverville, NC made this unnamed quilt.


Linda Roy, who lives in nearby TN....made this incredible quilt.....which by the way earned a Best of Show ribbon at one of the show I judged recently. Her workmanship is beyond superior.


After our day at the quilt show.....we had a bit of down time. We then headed to downtown Asheville for the first Friday of the month "Art Walk" where galleries welcome visitors to get acquainted with local artists. However, being quilters....we couldn't take that journey without food....

I'd heard that Mellow Mushroom serves good pizza.... so I suggested we stop there. Personally, I could eat pizza on a cow pie...... Ya....I was being selfish!


hummm... Mellow Mushroom.......I'm recalling the 60's!


For non-Chicago style pizza.....this got my A - rating......

Okay.....I'm now officially pooped......nite, nite.....tomorrow we have another busy day.......we begin with a breakfast lecture by my pal Linda Cantrell.... stay tuned........

No comments: