Tuesday, March 23, 2010

TORNADO OF MEMORIES

Since I so often speak about the 'perfect child', I decided to share a quilt I made for him. "Tornado of Memories In Chris's Closet", 51" x 54", 1993, appeared in my first book published in 1994 by AQS The Stori Book of Embellishing.

It was inspired by a Quilt National Exhibit where I was blown away by the quilt (I believe it was called) "Memory Jars" by Terrie Hancock Mangat. Its focus was small treasures and found objects placed in what represented clear glass jars, apparently her Grandmother had a memory jar.

I recalled a shoe box of items I uncovered when our son went off to collage, so I set out to save these memories for him. His bedroom closet had multi-colored blue louvered doors which I recreated with the strip pieced side borders. My original intention was to feature closet shelves with the 'treasures' tumbling off. However, my lack of drawing skills led me to create the tornado instead.


Detail

It was machine pieced, hand appliqued, highly embellished, and hand quilted.

Announcement: I'll be the Guest Blogger on the Quilting Gallery Blog.......it will go live after 9:00 AM tomorrow. Click here to join me.

No comments: