Friday, March 26, 2010

STAMP CARVING

The Fiber Junkies meeting this month, stamp carving, was led by our own Carol Sloan.

Here are a examples of some simple blocks she carved. Carol suggests using a Speedball Lino Tool which offers several different cutting blade styles.


Carol is showing two larger carved blocks that she claims were 'easy' to do.


Here we are...ducks in a row, hanging onto every word she uttered. AND....thanks to her organizational skills......we got hand outs to help us retain everything!


For those of us who can't draw, Carol demonstrated how a printed design can be traced onto the carving block material with the use of transfer carbon paper.


Numerous materials can be used. The Terra cotta colored piece is plumbers gasket from Home Depot....it was the most difficult to carve. The smallest block shown above is Master Carve.....the very easiest to manage.

Being thrifty, we carved all sides of our Master Carve block. Here are the results.


I've used stamps quite a bit in past work, but not too much lately......it's time to begin seeing those possibilities again. The 'perfect child' bought these wonderful wood antique carvings for me on a trip to Indonesia.

He also had these very special one's made for me by a metal smith in London!!!

I feel so lucky to have met so many generous and fun artists in this area who help keep my creativity in gear!


2 comments:

Windy Hill Happenings said...

I love the wine glasses in the picture...sure it helped in the carving process...know it did for me.

Carol Sloan said...

It helped me immensely also! I love getting together with you all...