Saturday, December 20, 2008


You'd think at this busy time of the year, I'd have something better to do than make a new ironing board cover! now you know, have no life!

Seriously, due to some red dye transfer on my existing board cover, from a hand dyed fabric that I bought somewhere, I wrecked a hunk of off white fabric I was steam pressing.  Yup, the red dye had transferred to my old cover, it dried and I didn't think any more about it.....till.....a few days ago when the darn stuff, up and leached onto this light colored fabric I was pressing. 

So, beware.....  

The new cover was made from two layers of muslin using a pattern cut from the old cover.  I added a narrow corded casing along the edges, which was pulled tight to secure the cover onto the board.

Over time, the padding on the old cover had practically disappeared so I replaced that too with a layer of Insul-Bright.  Its' needle-punched polyester insulating material has a reflective mylar layer which allows the energy (whether hot or cold) to reflect back to its source.  

This product is manufactured by the Warm Company and is often used to make oven mitts, pot holders, casserole covers, table pads, and even outdoor stadium cushions!  

1 comment:

marcella said...

Your new cover looks very nice! I got lazy on my cover and decided to use elastic rather than cording. It's really easy to get on and off for washing.