Monday, August 26, 2013


After two batches of ice dyeing, we moved on to try a short cut Shibori method, using textile paint.
 Here, Kate loosely wrapped fabric around a fat section of PVC pipe, taping one end and the sides to secure it.  She scrunghed it up toward the taped end. 
 Judy used another more traditional method, attaching rather thick string around a piece of PVC pipe, then bunching it together at one end.
Textile paint was applied to the pleated fabric with the aid of a large sponge brush.  Due to the heat, the paint dried really quickly so we had fairly immediate results.
 I was a bit displeased with one of my pieces of ice dyed wool so I decided to see painting it would provide a better overall design.  
Upon reflection, I should have used string or rubber bands to make the pleats, but I worked with it in this state....a mistake!
 Here's the result.......sometimes we need to leave well enough alone!
 This was another experiment of mine....using a piece of hand-dyed fabric that was gifted from Judy to Kate and onto me.  I used rubber bands to secure it and instead of painting the fabric in the direction of the rubber bands, I applied two colors lengthwise.
And this is what I got......  

I'll spare you having to see the remainding zillion photos I took of our play date.....but not the suggestion to give these methods a try yourself....or better yet, grab some friends and make an event of it!


Robbie said...

both your pieces turned out! I really like the first wool piece!!! So cool...branch like isn't it!

margaret said...

what fun you all had, must be wonderful to have friends to do these workshops with

The Idaho Beauty said...

I love that you've been experimenting with your friends while I've been experimenting with mine. Our regular dye session was such a success that they started talking about what we could try next, and ice dying was on their list. Shibori was on mine and I got some done on my own last week. You are so right - so much to try, so many effects, grab some friends and just do it! Thanks for the "tutorial".