Tuesday, August 16, 2011

HEIRLOOM BLUSH

About a week ago I unveiled a new wool felt project, click here to refresh your memory.

The edge finishing of these projects provide an opportunity for new creative ideas. Here's how I solved that challenge on my newest piece.

Working with the hand-dyed gauze to make the stem and leaves gave me another idea....why not repeat the color and material to 'frame' the piece.


Two long pieces were fused together to provide extra strength and eliminate the issue of fraying edges. Next I rotary straight cut one side and the other using a scallop blade.

These strips were applied to the edges of the piece, first fusing 1/2 of the strip to the top, then folding it under and fusing the remainder to the back.

I decided to allow the end of the stem to extend beyond the piece.....and if you've been reading this blog for awhile....you know I couldn't possibly call this complete without......


HEIRLOOM 8" x 12"
Available for purchase soon...it needs to be photographed for a publication
first so email me if you are interested and we can work out details.


Yes....without.....adding beads to the binding. That step served two purposes..... 1. decorative 2. further securing the gauze strips to the piece.

No comments: