Wednesday, December 8, 2010

COLORADO QUILT COUNCIL

Now that I've gotten over the shock of winter's arrival......seriously....I all but put it out of my mind in an effort to stop its arrival! Our temp. is a super cold 9 degrees.....I'm really beginning to believe we've been told a pack of lies about how 'mild' winters are here!! Schools have been closed for the last two days and lots of other activities canceled due to the snowy, icy roads. However, the sun is just coming out now so it should improve and now I'll shut up about it....I'm sure it's worse in other places!

Let's get back to chatting about Colorado Quilt Council. It's the state guild of Colorado, consisting of dozens of local chapters. Each month they meet in a different location around the state. December is their wrap up month.....so the business meeting was long.....starting at 9:30 AM.....my presentation didn't begin until 11:20......and concluded about an hour later....just in time for their luncheon. It's been my pleasure to visit this guild well over a half of dozen times during my career, so it almost felt like home.....so many friends, familiar faces, and new pals to meet!

I'm guessing none of us really 'like' sitting through long meetings but I was so impressed with this one. The charter of this group is education but that doesn't mean they've ignored charity/volunteer efforts.....in which they are very active. They do amazing work!

The installation of new officers was also held. Though I've experienced many, many at various groups across the country, this one was special. First of all.....it's a large board......smart...spread the work around!! But here's what was special. Each of the executive board members were individually called by name and a short job description was read.....asking them to verbally promise to carry out their duties. With that came a red rose.... It's vital to have volunteers and I think this gave the audience a real understanding (and hopefully appreciation) of the importance and dedication required to fulfill their duties. It was impressive!

Show and Tell probably took a good 30 mins.....and no one was blabbering excessively....they just had that many wonderful quilts to share. I wasn't seated in a location where picture taking was easy and unfortunately, I can't match quilt makers names to their pieces but I did ask for blanket permission to post any photos that didn't have someone's head smack in the middle.....so here goes...


ooopps.....yes, there is still a head here..... But I want to share this one.....it was make featuring photos, taken of the quiltmaker's garden. A photo program on a home computer was used to tweet them after which they were printed on her home computer.....

Two good friends made these quilts....both are named Terri......thus the 'T' designs.

Then, with their scraps, they made smaller ones to exchange.......great idea....


Again, since the meeting had run so long......time was limited.....so I wasn't able to get better photos of these two wonderful woolfelt pieces. They were inspired by my "Bead Embellish Wool Collage" workshop during my last visit to CQC. I'm happy to see someone else has gotten bitten by the woolfelt bug!

The view you are seeing is of the top two block of this quilt........the design was created using the shirts/clothing of a family member who had passed away. Isn't this a novel way of utilizing the fabric, rather than the more traditional patchwork? Nice....


Then....in the lobby of the church......I spied this decorated Christmas tree........

Here's the whirling dervish, Bobbie Aug, who kindly helped with my book sales....not to mention waiting for 3+ hours to fetch me from the airport when my flight was late.

Yup.....the ornaments are beads......well......pearls to be exact. They are constructed using wire. I don't know whether they were commercially made or created by an individual or group connected with the church. It was stunning!


More adventures to come tomorrow........

No comments: