Wednesday, November 7, 2012

NOV. FIBER JUNKIES MEETING

Today our group met at a member's home to get acquainted with her long arm.  Many of you may be familiar with a quilting machine.....and maybe even lucky enough to have one.  I'm lucky to have a generous friend who owns one!

 These quilting machines look sooo intimidating.....and certainly they are complex, however Kate's very, very patient and expert explanation and instruction about the proper set up, and many other tips had us feeling comfortable quite quickly.
 She's detail orientated and it shows in the quality of her work.  For instance, as the quilting progresses....she constantly checks to be sure the layers continue to be straight and even.
Judy, who is an accomplished home machine quilter was thrilled to see just how easy it was to free motion quilt using the long arm.
Gen too has had loads of experience quilting on a home machine......here she's  quilting in the ditch, using a see through ruler to help guide her.
Now it's Val's turn......Kate had her begin on a practice a piece.  She took to it like a duck to water!
Here's the piece Val will be working on.....I regret not getting a photo of her in action and a close up of her fabulous dyed and screen printed design.  My excuse....I spent half my time running up and down the stairs retrieving more Kleenex for my never ending running nose and washing my hands so as not to spread my germs to the rest of our gang.

My conclusion?  It'd sure be fabulous to own such a machine.......  I expect the learning curve is high but the rewards....oh my!!

1 comment:

Robbie said...

What a fun day I'm sure! Minus the runny nose!!! Longarms do look great but since i seem to work on more smaller pieces (not sure why!) guess my little machine will do!! Hope you get feeling better!!!