I mentioned that I planned to spend as much of my free time this weekend playing with felt. Our original plans were altered at the last minute....so?? What's a gal to do!?!I've seen mobiles featuring felted motifs and that got me to thinking..... Before tackling a project like that I decided to try to make one large textured object. Again, I'm fairly new to felting, but am dedicated enough to spend a lot of time learning.
Here you can see the beginning process of wet felting a large leaf. I used an off white pre-felt batting and narrow cotton cording and began the initial forming on a plastic resist. After the first two front layers held together just enough, the resist was removed. (I already have ideas how to alter the process for the next one!)
Finally here's how it looked after a major amount of manipulation, throwing, rolling, and generally beating up on the fibers to get them to 'felt' together.
Drying on a wire rack.After it dried, I felt the veins lost a lot of definition. It seemed to me that needle felting close to the cording would help the veins pop out.....so I spent quite a bit of time poking!
It's mounted on a narrow rigid steel rod which I inserted into a piece of wood found on my daily 'forced' march.