Friday, May 22, 2015

APPALACHIAN MOUNTAIN MEADOW - NEW WORK

 Well, this piece was a LONG time in the works.  It was one of those projects where an 'ahhhh' design just kept eluding me.  I had every intention of posting  photos of the entire process, but after seeing just how many there were and realizing how much whining and indecision would be exposed....I've opted to share only 3.
The project began in Nov. 2014, as a small piece of yellow silk noil. It was transformed using a soy wax resist and green, yellow, and orange/red dyes.
I'm inspired by the mountains that surround me.....so the idea was to hand embroider a mountain scene and frame it with hanging branches using two strands of floss.  (Which took a lonnnnng time!) Though I had not envisioned any other design elements....as often happens....the piece tells you to keep going....and so I did.  
APPALACHIAN MOUNTAIN MEADOW  18" X 16"
Artist soy wax resist/hand-dyed silk noil, cotton batik, hand embroidered.
Detail - Appalachian Mountain Meadow

Check out how what other artists have been up to this week:  Nina-Marie's Off The Wall Friday, Crazy Mom Quilts, Whoop, Whoop Friday, Richard and Tanya Quilts.

8 comments:

Judy Warner said...

Love your piece, Mary! Pine trees are wonderful, aren't they!

Linda M said...

It's wonderful! That is a lot of stitching!

Angela said...

What a fun little piece!

The Idaho Beauty said...

So charming! You finally got those stripes under control. I've been considering similar dangling branches for my Adrift piece but can't settle on how to best pull it off. So I study yours with extra interest.

Janine @ Rainbow Hare said...

This is beautiful :)

Kim A said...

What a beautiful piece of art! Love all the details.

Robbie said...

See there...I never would have come up with that design! It works SO well!!!

Norma Schlager said...

I didn't realize it was all hand stitched until I saw the close-up. Wow! That's a lot of stitching and it looks great!