Tuesday, July 22, 2014

LASER CUT STEEL MOTIF

Utilizing unusual embellishments can be quite the challenge.....
Back in late 2013 I stopped at a metal fabricator's shop (sadly closed now) looking for small pieces of metal to rust.  They didn't use thin metal....but the generous owner gave me two pieces of cut out 'waste' of a thicker steel which normally he sells for scrap.

'Iron Tree' (above) is the result of using one piece...I blogged about the process here.  I've picked up that other piece soooo many times since then, trying to come up with a plan to use it....
 I don't know if I have a plan.....but I'm moving forward anyway.  I got out this small piece of deconstructed screen printed wool.  Knowing the weight of the object would require the art to be mounted, I soon realized the print wasn't large enough.  

Look.....you can see the outline of the screen....and the margin where I repainted to cover the exposed white wool.  Wrapping a wood frame requires a much larger border than for instance museum wrapping or binding a wall quilt.  In the end, I'm hoping this 'fix it' attempt will prove successful.
The 2nd 'waste' motif was an entirely different shape..... I'm auditioning some steel beads to coordinate with it.....  Let's see where this goes.....

2 comments:

Robbie said...

I remember when you used the first piece of metal...loved that piece!! And this one will be just as great!! Repurposing at it's finest!!!

margaret said...

your first piece of metal also reminds me of lightening