The focus of July's Fiber Junkie's meeting was discharge dyeing. Which basically means, removing the dye color from fabric using bleach or other chemicals. As you might imagine.....beautiful patterns can result.
Conclusion....I'm not sure I'd bother doing this again. Why?? Mainly due to the wide variables of mostly disappointing results. (I know, I know....this process can be fun and rewarding so this report is just my take on MY results today.)
The cost of supplies such as, Decolourant are fairly expensive and at least for where I live....not easily accessible. Other less costly supplies (such as common household bleach or Soft Scrub with bleach) may work fine, but it's a good idea to use respirators when using these chemicals. Working in a well ventilated room is a must.For the first time in years, we had a wash out on our Fiber Junkies meeting day. Yes of course, we get rain here, but mostly it rains, clears up and even rains again....all day rains are not common. Fortunately, we were able to work in Val's garage, but dry times were definitely affected.
As mentioned.....when working with some of these chemicals, it's a good idea to wear a respirator. Denny models hers......
I'm trying to be more purposeful about all these experiments we do. So this time I worked with all black fabric in the hopes of achieving results that better coordinate with each other instead of creating random pieces that are great to look at, but difficult to use.
Here I pleated a hunk of fabric and coated the folds with Soft Scrub with bleach. I waited, and I waited...
......and when nothing seemed to happen after about 20 mins. (when it should take about 5-10) I washed it out. I ended up with 2 small steaks of very light grey and the rest was still black. This photo is over exposed....making the black look grey and the grey look whiter than what it was. Believe me...it DID NOT WORK. We determined that perhaps the Soft Scrub I used was old.....apparently, the bleach in it becomes less effective as it ages....despite the fact that it really still smelled like bleach.
However, others had better results..... Here Denny tried 3 different products and the looks varied. From left to right.....Discharge dye solution, DeColoruant, and Soft Scrub. She pressed each solution through a shibori pattern thermofax screen that she made.
Next I tried discharging using one of Judy's small thermofax designs. She's SUPER organized and has been doing image transfer before most of us knew what it meant. Each one is labeled and has it's own printed paper cover paper clipped to it to make it easy identify in the large stack she's created.
Decoloruant was pressed through the small screen and dried with a heat gun. Then it was pressed using steam which released the dye, allowing the design to appear.
When the dye is fully released.....the fabric looked like this.....One of my better results..... More to come......