Thursday, April 29, 2010

DESIGN INSPIRATIONS

It seems we are all so busy that we find ourselves rushing madly through each day. One of the many unexpected, yet positive, aspects of doing my blog has been the development of an acute awareness of the little things. I find myself taking the time to stop and appreciate my surroundings and more often than not, I'm rewarded.

While waiting for an appointment in our beautifully restored old court house, I spotted this graceful brass and iron railing. The design could easily translate to applique, beading, or be used as a quilting motif!

Of course once I got home and downloaded these photos....I couldn't believe the crack in the marble floor on this view. However, when I was admiring the floor, I was struck by the excellent condition these old tiles were in....this crack was an exception! Never-the-less.......I loved how the border outlined the larger squares.....it's just what we do for our quilts.

Imagine the craftsmen creating these sections.......think about the skill it must have taken to achieve a perfectly balanced cornerstone design.

I'll be keeping my eyes open for new designs and tidbits to share as I head to South Carolina tomorrow to visit the Threads of Time Quilt Guild in the Lexington area. On Saturday I'll be presenting a lecture "Let It Shine" and a beading workshop. If anyone is nearby and wishes to attend....email me and I'll get you the details.

No comments: