Saturday, May 9, 2009

EXPLORING ASHEVILLE

It's amazing that nearly 3 years have passed since we've moved to the Asheville area and yet I haven't even really begun exploring the charming downtown area.  Thanks to my PTA buddies, I got an excellent tour on Thursday.

I've been waiting to do a drum roll......with my big announcement......it's still a tad early....so consider this a sneak preview.  I'll be hosting the Great Smokey Mountain Quilting Tour - Aug. 5-13, 2010.  The tour is being organized with my friends at Traveling Together.  The co-owners have planned all of my quilt cruises and tours with great skill.  You can register your email address on their site now....click on quilting tours....and they will notify you when info is ready or......

Soon I'll have a link on both this blog and my website for you to obtain a brochure.  Because of some of the special (otherwise not available to the public) places we will be visiting, we are limiting the number of our group.  So....when registration is available, please consider signing up early.

Besides all the fabulous shops and galleries in downtown Asheville....there is a lot of history as well.

One notable landmark is the Flat Iron building......


Unfortunately, the actual large sculpture of a Flat Iron is away for repairs.....as we understand it.....it was hit by a car!


A short walk from our first hotel on this tour is the Basilica of Saint Lawrence which was built in 1905-1909, Rafeal Gustavino was the architect.  My photos of the breathtaking inside were too dark to post......but of course....you really need to see it in person anyway!  


Don't you wish we had these signs in many other places........how about in airplanes?!?!


This view is inside the Grove Arcade which opened in 1929.  It's one of Asheville's architectural jewels containing shopping, dining, and regional crafts.

I hope I'm just wetting your appetite for this exciting and fun tour.  I've saved the best for today's final peak......we've arranged to stay two nights in the famous Biltmore Estates (where daily entry fees alone are $60) at the Inn at Biltmore Estates.  Our farewell dinner will be held at this location as well.......believe me you do not want to miss this!    

Yes, I'm a tease.....the brochure will be available soon.....but mark your calenders now!

No comments: