After a struggle, I finally completed my beaded fern project. I've been neglecting my commitment to the AAQI so this little guy will be donated to this worthy cause. To learn more visit Priority: Alzheimer's Quilts
The beading was a bit time consuming, but the final construction proved to be another challenge. I decided to keep it small, and add background texture. After trying everything from machine stitching various designs & hand embroidered tendrils, I finally resorted to using french knots. I experimented using several different colors and though higher contrast colors seemed like the right decision while doing samples, they began to look like chicken pox, so I matched the embroidery floss to the lighter green felted wool.
Thank goodness I used National Nonwovens 100% felted wool.....it really held up to all my unsewing!
One important aspect of this type of construction is the need to use a backing to hide and protect all the beading stitches. This piece seemed to need a border as well, so I bead appliqued the design to the darker green backing, cut larger than the finished size. After all the beadwork was completed, the backing was trimmed to size, using a wave rotary cutting blade.
If I learn when this piece will be auctioned, I'll report back in case anyone here is interested. Hopefully it will find a new home, enabling AAQI to provide more funds for research into Alzheimer's Disease.