Saturday, May 17, 2008

STITCHIN' AGAIN

My busy teaching schedule hasn't allowed enough time for too much creating, however, here and there, I've been working on another NC mountain life inspired piece.

Ferns are a subject I've explored with hand quilting and trapunto.   Seeing lush areas of ferns during our 'forced marches' each morning up the mountain, I decided to try to recreate the look with beads.  

Again, I've chosen felted wool for the body of the piece.  National Nonwovens 'WoolFelt' is a blend; 20/80 wool/rayon or 35/65 wool/rayon.  For the first time, I'm using their 100% WoolFelt and I LOVE it since it's sturdier.  Providing an adequate stabilized background is vital to support the weight of the beads.  Look for this brand at JoAnn's, Hobby Lobby, your local quilt shops, and online merchants.


So....finally now the main design is beaded.  Obviously, it requires a backing to hide and protect all the beading stitches.  That's my next step, incorporating it into a finished piece.  Stay tuned.