Monday, July 25, 2011

IT'S FINISHED!!

Yippie.....it's finished......my 'Banksy' artist inspired wall quilt is now complete. It will hang in a special PTA fiber group exhibit at the Mid Atlantic Quilt Festival in Hampton, VA in February 2012. Each of our 13 members will exhibit 1 piece inspired by a famous artist and another one of their quilts to represent their own personal style. It should be a fun exhibit to view.

Our 'artist' inspired pieces were required to be 24" x 30"....which is rather small to depict the side of a building displaying art (or some might call it graffiti). In keeping with the goal of the design, I felt the motifs needed to be big and bold, rather than incorporating a smaller scale building into a scenic background. When I reached finishing the edges, I realized a traditional binding wasn't appropriate so I chose to use a facing instead. I've never finished a quilt with this method before......and hey..... no matter how long one has been quilting, there's always something new to learn!


Wash Day 30" x24"
Inspired by Banksy - UK's famous street stencil artist

P.S. My original artist inspired (Alexander Calder) piece is nearing completion as well.....and will soon be on its way to the new owner....thanks Kay for providing me with the opportunity/need to make another piece. They were both such fun to create!!

I'm on jury duty all this week so I don't know how much sewing I'll be getting accomplished, and doubt I can take pictures of what goes on in the courtroom to post! But hang in there...I'll be back before you even miss me.

1 comment:

Robbie said...

Banksy would be proud! Neat piece! I've actually watched Exit Through the Gift Shop twice! Love seeing all the art!