Wednesday, January 18, 2012

RAMBLINGS

Getaways are so refreshing......can't wait to do a repeat of my recent trip.

 I visited a long time friend at her winter escape home in one of the newer Sun City developments outside of Phoenix.  This is the view off her patio toward the golf course.  The weather was so pleasant, if I lived there I'd have to set up my sewing machine outside and spend the days catching the rays and the views.


We kept ourselves quiet busy and were lucky the timing offered us a chance to see "Art Quilts: Year XVI - Something To Say."  This exhibit is at the Chandler Center for the Arts until Jan. 28, 2012.  Unfortunately, and understandably, photography is not allowed....but I can assure you it was wonderful.  I expected it to be quiet small but we browsed for well over an hour.  It was great to see a steady, and I mean steady stream of viewers.  The quilts were displayed professionally, well lighted, and offered a large variety of styles.


 We  also attended a small quilt show in Wickenburg....a charming historic town.  


 It was a pleasure to see so many traditional quilts on display in one place.....
 This is one of the very few art type quilts and certainly one of the very few to feature embellishing. 


 The maker utilized buttons, machine embroidery, and paints for this original design quilt.


I thought this was very clever.....each quilt had one or more clothes pins attached for viewers to safely turn the quilt and view the backside.  Since it was a small venue that was a bit crowded.....this made so much sense.

No comments: