Saturday, October 18, 2014

PATIENCE REQUIRED!!!

Attaching agate slices to my projects with beads has become one of my favorite techniques.
 While most would pass on purchasing such a stone....having a hole in it provides more creative opportunities.

 Just when I thought I had conquered this technique....yesterday, I had to admit defeat.  The edges of this stone slice angled downward (instead of straight) and were unusually uneven.  

I misjudged the spacing on the beginning rounds of beadwork.....assuming it could be pulled tight when the last rounds were added (decreasing the number of beads to allow the 'bead cage' to encase the stone.)

The problem was actually apparent early on but I sort of liked the wavy affect along the edge, esp. since the background was marbled cotton.  However, since  these items are for sale, I couldn't risk that the agate would be held snugly enough in place.......
......So......after about 4-5 hours of beading....it only took 10 minutes to remove it.  Sure.....I'll try again.....

THINKING AHEAD TO TOMORROW......GO PACKERS!!!!!!!!  

3 comments:

Nancy said...

Ack.. all that work! I've done a bead "cage" only once, and it, too, was to encase a flat stone. The irregular edges on this one.. hmmm. Good luck. It's an interesting piece with the center hole. Look forward to how you problem solve and complete the project.

Robbie said...

I do love this piece...colors are great!!! And we all know you'll figure it out and create a beautiful piece of work!

Kathy said...

I've had several that have been re-done many times before I found a secure fix. But I find these stones so beautiful that it's worth all the extra effort required to use them. The wavy edge did look good, but securing the stone is more important!