Fiber Junkies meeting day is one we look forward to all month. During the summer we gather at Val's, who not only generously shares her studio......but we overrun her house as well. Instead of a single theme this month, we each kinda did our own thing.This is a dream group.....talented and giving members who blend together so well. We each have our own spacious table and supplies are freely shared between everyone. Note the back wall.....it's FILLED with Val's silk screens....aren't we lucky to have access to them!?!
Here's one of her border screen....sorry about the poor quality photo.
And here's a piece Val just screened using one of the designs.Judy is tackling a major project, with a deadline closing in, so her goal was to create some fabric that appeared old, with crackling/peeling paint to be incorporated into her design.
Val, whose touch is always magic, is helping Judy with the paint layering process.Kate brought previously dyed/painted fabrics to enhance. She's drawn to images of coastal South Carolina and this fun piece is going in that direction.
Gen will be moving soon, hopefully nearby, and has decided to get a jump on organizing her fabrics by making kits from her scraps. A really smart idea.
We are all soooo very happy Denny has been able to join us again even though she continues to oversee some family health problems. She can be counted on to get us interested in new directions for our work. This 'transfer' image technique is one we will be exploring in an upcoming meeting.My quest was to mono print some National NonWoven's Woolfelt. We came up with this (new for us) method during our last mono-printing session. To obtain good prints when using stencils, one is positioned (or other flat item) beneath a blank silk screen. Paint is then drawn through the screen....here I used an old gift card. The screen is simply moved from place to place on the fabric one is printing.
This approach keeps the stencil flat and helps to keep the paint from migrating beneath the cut out areas of the stencil. It's doubly important in this instance because of the wool's nap.
I borrowed stencil from Gen to mono-print dots on the other half.
Once dried, one of Judy's fabulous small screens was used as an over-lay and printed with black paint.Next, I switched gears to try to give a face lift to this purple (though it may not look purple in the photo) silk noil. It had been previously altered by bleaching with dry bleach. The small discharged areas were simply not interesting enough.
This is better!!
More printed wool felt
And a final one..... I have no plans for their use right now....just happy to know they are there when inspiration hits me.