Friday, June 5, 2015

WILDFLOWER FANTASY - NEW WOOL WORK

After many happy hours stitching on this small piece....it's now complete!
Sometime ago I blogged about the process of altering a section of this peachy National Nonwoven's Woolfelt fabric.  I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE their products.  

First there was a rather unsuccessful attempt to micro-wave ice-dye it.  I believe the unsatisfactory result of that experiment was because the piece was too large and it 'cooked' too long.
On a re-do.....it was monoprinted using slightly thinned acrylic paint and a stencil.
I always stabilize felted works to keep them from distorting during the stitching process.  Often I'll sketch some basic design placement ideas on a piece of lightweight non-fusible Pellon interfacing. (I don't draw....so this is really rough.)
The interfacing is thread basted to the wrong side of the altered fabric and here ultra-suede stems are being added. (Sometimes following the sketch I've drawn on the wrong side, sometimes not!) 
Stitching with Burmilana #12 thread and beading using a variety of styles of seed beads is in progress. Next the interfacing will be trimmed to about 1/4" from the outside edge, a backing and edge finishing will be incorporated.  Finally, a hanging device and label will be added.
WILDFLOWER FANTASY  10" x 12" 
Artist microwave ice-dyed, monoprinted, hand embroidery,
bead embellished.


UPDATE:  I've had several inquires about how I finish the back of these pieces, plus inquiries about hanging devices.  I blogged about it here:  http://marystori.blogspot.com/2012/11/backingslabels-for-wool-quilts.html


See what other artists have been up to this week:  Nina-Marie Off The Wall Friday, Whoop, Whoop Friday

11 comments:

Kathy said...

Lovely---and great save of your 'failed' dye experiment! Quick questions for you...how do you attach your backings? Sew or quilt throughout the piece, fuse, or only attach with the edge finish? Do you put a sleeve on each piece? I'm happy with mounting my small pieces on canvas but I'm always curious about what other people do!

Judy Warner said...

I am always fascinated by your process. The background is perfect for the stitching. Someone will be a lucky owner!

The Inside Stori said...

Kathy inquired about how I finish the backs of my quilts...... I blogged about it here: http://marystori.blogspot.com/2012/11/backingslabels-for-wool-quilts.html

LA Paylor said...

I need to see how you're attaching a hanging devise. This piece is so interesting, with great depth of field. Your work always reminds us why we like to work with fiber. LeeAnna

quiltedfabricart said...

Way to go! Making lemon aid out of lemons. Striking piece and I am going to check out that hanging device post as well. Thank you for mentioning it.

Angela said...

Great save! Never give up!

The Idaho Beauty said...

Nice save! Lovely piece. Sometimes simplicity is the best way to go. Had you tried adding different colored appliques to this background, it probably would not have been nearly as effective. The irregular (dare I say it, organic) outer edge just adds to the easy feel of this piece.

Robbie said...

Lovely!!!! The contrast of the black is perfect!!!!!

margaret said...

a lovely piece the black works so well on the felt

Mrs Plop said...

Stunning!

Lara B. said...

Very beautiful Mary. I love the way the piece keeps changing as you add more and more. How do you decide when something is done? Does it simply feel and look right to you?