I've read everything I could find online.....lots of fabulous results but not many reveal step by steps fully. I suspect, like so many dyeing methods, there's more than one way to achieve results.
I've previously rusted fabric but never made an iron solution to be used to soak or steam foliage printed fabrics. Using some rusty bed springs my pal Kate shared with me several years ago....I added 1 part vinegar to two parts water.
Covered the bucket and let sit outside in our unusually warm weather for nearly 2 weeks. OH MY GOSH......it's developed a deep frothy foam blossom.....
I removed the bed springs and tried to work the foam back into the liquid to avoid losing any of those goodies. With a funnel placed into an empty milk container, I carefully transferred the iron solution from the bucket.
I talked two friends into experimenting eco-print dyeing with me. I'll keep a photo record and report back in a few days.