Sunday, June 28, 2015

FLAT DYEING (ECO-DYEING REPORT WILL RESUME NEXT)

The day we departed from our mini eco-print dye retreat....we did a quick session of flat dyeing.....using up premixed dyes from a recent Fiber Junkies meeting.  As I've said over and over, we are an adventurous group.....and will dye, print, paint, mess with anything that's standing still.....here are a few pieces of fabric that surprised me.
 Top center is a decorative cotton napkin, far left was my cotton clean up cloth (which I love), and far right was a section of curtain.....obviously some of it was synthetic since it didn't take the dye....a nice bonus I felt.
 Recently a friend gifted me an embellisher machine.....I haven't had a chance to play with it yet.  Along with the machine she gave me a huge hunk of very thick and sort of fuzzy wool....did I say it was thick??  Yes....very and quite boring.  So I wacked off two small pieces to dye.
 I was stunned, given the amount of dye it accepted, and the huge amount that washed out that there would be anything left......but both of these pieces are pleasing to me.  Due to the thickness, it will require brain storming to figure out how to use them. 

I'm still going through the 100+ photos I took of our eco-dyeing.....check back tomorrow......

4 comments:

The Idaho Beauty said...

Wow - that thick felt DID dye up well. I've often found that those random toss in the end of the dye stock pieces as well as the drop cloth/cleanup rags give the most interesting results. Knowing what you are doing and what you will get is a good thing, but then this sort of anything goes let's see what happens is really good too.

Tu-Na Quilts said...

So interesting!! I like the blue/green one. How about washing some of it in hot water to felt it and use it for petals of a flower on a pillow cover?

Anonymous said...

Mary here........the wool almost feels felted already....that's how dense it is.....thank you for the suggestion Karen......heck I may just run it through the embellished and see how that works......

Sherrie Spangler said...

I love the blue-green thick wool. It looks yummy.