Friday, February 3, 2023

TIP

A fiber group friend asked for my help getting started making landscape art quilts.  She's ready to add some handwork so I offered this tip, perhaps it can help you too.

 I developed this method years ago to keep hand embroidery, quilting, & beadwork distortion free. I ALWAYS work in a Qsnap frame....(square or rectangle) preferring to secure fabric on-grain rather than using a round hoop which stretches the bias. 

The addition of a (homemade) fabric sleeve (or more than one if the project is small) is used to pin and hold the edges secure.  This provides stability when your stitching reaches the very outside edge of a piece.

 








3 comments:

The Idaho Beauty said...

This is different from a tip I remember you giving which had one pulling the edges of the piece around the frame's tubes to the back and safety pinning it in place. I always thought that was a brilliant solution to not having to use the snap part of the frame, impossible with embellishments, but this is a great solution too.

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Great tip, I never gave any thought to the round ones stretching on the bias.

The Inside Stori said...

Sheila ......you have a GREAT memory......yes, I often pulled the excess fabric around the pipe and pinned it to avoid using the clips in areas that I worried about damaging beads or other embellishments like the 3-d motifs I often added early in my work. As time went on, I switched to making fabric sleeves because they allowed me to sew right up to the outer edge of a project and were useful too in avoiding using clips when they would damage the designs. Again.....kuddos to you for your great memory!!!