Thursday, February 9, 2023

MICROWAVE ICE-DYEING

 The holidays, illnesses, and life in general had gotten in the way of our monthly Fiber Frenzy meetings......therefore a day of microwave dyeing was looked forward to greatly.  

Cotton fabric soaked in soda ash, topped with ice, and sprinkled with Procion dyes....ready for the microwave.
After 7 mins. (much longer than usual due to the low power) the ice is melted and fabric ready to be rinsed.
I was very low on reds in my stash so very delighted by this piece.

The microwave we used was small and not very powerful which led to a lot of standing around & chatting while we waited our turn.  Kathie on the left, Susan on the right.
At the last minute Judy came down with the bad cold that's making the rounds, so we "toasted" her by text!
Kathie over-dyed a previous pink with too much white piece and this was the fabulous result.  Do-overs can be great!!

Far left is a rayon scarf Kathie brought for each of us.....the rest of my pieces were all over-dyed commercial tone on tone white and pale yellow.  Bliss!!!!

7 comments:

The Idaho Beauty said...

I haven't done any dyeing for quite awhile but I have to admit I've been getting the itch. You aren't helping! lol These all look great.

Kathy said...

Did you remember to throw in some embroidery floss to match, while you were dyeing? I always forget and then wish I had 'just the right color' when I'm adding hand stitching. Looks like sooooo much fun!

The Inside Stori said...

Kathy - Brilliant......why didn't I think of this?? I will next time.....
Thank you.....

The Inside Stori said...

Sheila, I have to admit, dyeing fabrics is good for the soul!!

Nancy said...

You're at it again! And the results are wonderful. The comment about dyeing floss is genius, too. So much fun.

Laura said...

I am so very glad that you had a day of dyeing fun! I've never ice dyed in the microwave. Sure would be faster than the slower way. I wonder if there are differences in the intensity of the colours. Have a lovely weekend full of dreaming about what to do with your new fabrics.

The Inside Stori said...

Laura inquired whether the intensity of color is diminished somewhat using the microwave. I have never felt like it has......though this time perhaps a little. The colors were ever bit as bright and wonderful as usual but not quite as much when washed..... I usually don't wash them right away but this time I did, rather then letting it sit overnight. Or it may have made no difference at all as there is always quite a bit of color that washes away.