Wednesday, May 29, 2019

SILVER DOLLAR PLANT

Yikes, I've hardly entered my studio for 2 weeks....we are knee deep in home projects.  You know....those annoying small tasks that are so easy to put off till one day you can't any longer.

But to prevent too much whining on my part, I did sneak in some time to begin a small wall art quilt.
I've started with a piece of white silk noil that had been accordion folded, tied, and soaked in iron water to add color and pattern.  I love the texture of silk noil and am always smitten by the warm color that iron water adds to fabric.
After stabilizing with a lightweight non-fusible, a few sparse branches were fused in place and secured with machine stitching.
 Two off-white sheer fabric layers have been sandwiched with fabric "seeds' and now placement auditioning begins.
More rearranging......when ultimately satisfied they will be secured using a blanket stitch and additional hand embroidery....and of course some background stitching.  Stay tuned...I'm headed to do some rug shampooing.....yuck!


4 comments:

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

That is going to be a lovely piece.

Nancy said...

This is just lovely- in concept and execution! I've always been fascinated by the plant, though we called them "money plants". And I know what you mean- it's always easy to slip into so many tasks that time in the sewing room gets overlooked. Glad you found some time.

Robbie said...

I love this piece, Mary!!!! So gentle looking....very nice!!!!

Kathy said...

I thought you might be off on an adventure again! Glad you found some time back in the studio, and with a lovely, lovely result!