Thursday, May 2, 2019

MAKING HEADWAY & SHARING A TIP

The top is now finished......next it will be sandwiched with batting and a backing and basted in preparation for machine quilting.

You may or may not have noticed that the outside sashing is wider than the interior strips.  This is a trick I like to use on most of my wall art.

In this case the outside sashing measures 1/2" wider than the other sashing strips. 1/4" extra is provided to trim/square the quilt prior to binding.  And the extra 1/4" will be covered with the black binding.  This will allow the cornerstones to be visually the same size as in the body of the quilt.  

9 comments:

Jo said...

That sashing tip is brilliant! One I am going to use on the next quilt with sashing! Your quilt looks great too! I love the Asian prints but it is always a question how to use them.

Nancy said...

This is so pretty. And thanks for the tip- it really makes sense!

Kathy said...

Good looking quilt! And the sashing advice is a great tip.

Norma Schlager said...

Well, you had a productive week! Love the quilt. You sashing method makes sense to me.

Robbie said...

Wow...this is wonderful! And what a great tip on the outside border/sashing strip!!! Who knew!!! Not me for sure!!!! Thanks for sharing! Now to remember that tip!!!!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Thanks for the tip!! I'm not sure that I ever would have thought to add the extra bit.

KatieQ said...

Thanks for sharing the tip. It seems so obvious once you think about it, but it never occured to me before.

Vivian Helena said...

I like that idea! hope I remember it!

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Aren't you the clever one with your extra half-inch! The quilt is looking really nice!