Thursday, November 29, 2018

WHAT A MESS!!

One of my favorite fabrics to work with is silk noil.  Which is why this material is usually my first choice to hand-dye when the opportunity presents itself.

The piece below was ice-dyed which yielded less of a all over color mixture than is usual.  It was a fairly large piece and thankfully a section was cut to use for another project.  I say thankfully because this is a MESS.

 The intention was to create a morning sky landscape theme.  Instead as I machine stitched, the results became big blobs of color and lots of distortion.
Silk noil is notoriously sort of flimsy so being very familiar working with it, I added a stabilizer on the wrong side.  However, I used a new (to me) top thread, King Tut by Superior Threads.  Clearly it was just too heavy for this fabric. I should have acknowledged that immediately, but foolishly forged on anyway!

Lesson learned....come back tomorrow to see what I'm doing on the other half of this fabric.

5 comments:

Kathy said...

Well, now it's just a background waiting to be cut into small pieces, have a little floral applique fused on or a few beads and put in the shop. Small pieces usually do well, don't they? Or cut floral shapes out of it and put on a different background. Hard to totally set aside lots of hard work like that!

The Inside Stori said...

Oh Kathy.....you give this piece way too much credit.....rescue def. not worth the effort. However, hopefully I'llI be using the unstitched portions as binding for the section I thankfully removed before starting on this one.

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Oh, yes, King Tut is a thick thread - great for quilting but not so much for silk. It is hard to give up on a project, but using the unstitched part for binding sounds like a fine idea.

Nancy said...

Live and learn department! I'm a lot quicker to let go of things that don't work out than I once was. But it's still not easy!

Robbie said...

I really like the red/maroon area!!! Looks great....another project we'll be anticipating the results!