Tuesday, November 13, 2018

FUN MAKING FELTED BASKETS

With non-stop rain and foggy, foggy conditions, it's the perfect day to hunker down and create.  Before the holiday shopping begins in earnest, my Woolworth art gallery inventory of wool felted baskets needed to be expanded.
The Fiber Junkies have had a number of meetings lately working with acrylic paints. I took advantage of the work time to mono-print quite a lot of wool felt.  This piece was made using the edge of a hotel key card, dipped in paint.  
 The baskets are made by fusing two layers of felted wool, or in this case, the lining is ice-dyed bamboo rayon that I over-dyed with indigo using a shibori folding technique.
Some of my botanical printed wool felt was used for this basket.
 These last two small baskets are made using the same fabric combo as the first larger basket. 
It's more tedious than it looks because besides fusing, I've edge stitched the layers together and often times adding some dense stitching on the bottom.  

I have to admit....I didn't get all this done in one day.....some of the pieces were fused and cut out the day before....as I said, it's time consuming...but really enjoyable.

4 comments:

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Those are so neat!!

Ann Scott said...

Mary, These are really wonderful!

Laura said...

Love those little baskets. Perfect to store little things for a project in progress. Also I'm sure they feel lovely to hold (which is why I love little baskets!)

Norma Schlager said...

Wow! these are fabulous!