Sunday, November 11, 2018

LEGO FURNITURE - SORT OF

We've been doing a bit of updating to our house which all started with my 8+ year whining to have hardwood installed in our master.  We had that choice when we bought the house, but foolishly chose carpet instead........
.......and then we got Sooty....our rescue black lab who sheds, sheds, sheds despite the daily good brushing by 'the husband'.  It drove me nuts!  But, anyone who has done any sort of updating to their home knows that one thing always leads to others.  We had a 27 year old, very out of date plaid love seat in our room.  It turned into Sooty dog's nighttime bed for as long as it took for us to fall asleep, after which she would immediately and quietly join us.  I don't know why we are so surprised to find her on our bed most mornings!

Anyway, the love seat still has lots of life left, so it will be donated.  After removing it, we found Sooty pouting in the dining room, surrounded by all her comfort bones.  Oh dogs are so human at times.
 The replacement love seat was purposely inexpensive, but will probably become an expensive dog bed since I doubt we'll use it for ourselves.  Finding a small one was difficult....but eventually I found one online made by Serta.  We were dumbstruck when it arrived by Fed Ex in a big box.....and it became clear we were to put it together! 
 I've heard ads for 'chair or sofa in a box' but wasn't aware that was basically what we purchased.  There it was, all in one large box. Layer after layer of pieces, stacked like Legos.
 We organized the various units....and began assembling....surprisingly easy and quick.
 The back slid into metal channels on the inside side of each arm which we attached to the base in a similar manner.
 This view is the back of the love seat....you can see a small section of the back leather flap at the top.  It drops down and is held in place by Velcro.  This was done after we installed and tightened the big hand held screws that ran between the back and the arms.  We didn't even need a screw driver!!
The only thing that slowed us down was the impatience of 'the husband' trying to stuff the back cushions into the leather covers.  His approach was cram and shove which didn't yield very smooth results.  But that was easily resolved.
And here it is.....a leather Lego loveseat!


9 comments:

Kathy said...

Not bad for a Lego chair in a box--and you worked together to assemble it and you are both still alive to tell the tale. What a success story!

The Inside Stori said...

Alive sure, but perhaps not speaking to each other?!?

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

What a sweet pooch! It sure doesn't look like an assemble yourself sofa!

Connie said...

This just might be the answer to a problem that I am anticipating. I want to purchase a hide-a-bed loveseat for our 5th wheel. The problem is getting it through the door. We were thinking about pulling the 5th wheel to the furniture store and saying if you can get it in, we'll buy it, LOL.
I just found your blog and I love how you are printing your own fabrics . . . I love unique and out of the box . . . not fond of matchy, matchy.
I'm so happy to meet you.
Your newest follower,
Connie :)

Windy Hill Happenings said...

Looks good and the quilt above it is the perfect touch!

Robbie said...

And your quilt looks great!!!!! Actually, both look good but I'm in love with the one on the wall!!! Love the 'lego' couch too!

Nancy said...

"Some assembly required" was an understatement for this furniture! Thankfully DIY instructions have improved with the onset of so many online furniture purchases. This looks good, and Sooty will love it when he gets over the sulks about the old one. It should wipe off easily, too. Our son began his business career years ago in Atlanta area with a service he called Quality Assembly- he put together the barbecues, trampolines, gym equipment, etc. that people did not want to assemble on their own. It grew and grew, went in a little different direction- and he now owns 5 fitness centers. Now that you've assemble one- there may be a market for you and your husband can hire out! Ha!

The Inside Stori said...

Nancy...what an interesting career you son has! 'The husband' and I have stayed married for over 50 years in part to avoiding doing home projects together!!

The Idaho Beauty said...

You have brought back memories of when I had to buy a new "couch" after moving to Idaho because the big couch that would not die and did double duty as dog bed and extra sleep spot could not be angled around a corner into the room where it was to reside. I drove an hour to a store selling futon couches and once I'd decided on one, asked for it to be delivered and set up. The clerk said yes, they could do that while the manager quickly came over and aksed what kind of car do you drive? It will fit in it. I don't know what was going on but they obviously did not want to make the trip, even if I paid for it. Well yes, the frame came all broken down and in a box and just barely fit in the back of my Outback with the back seat down and the front seats way forward. The futon part got stuffed in last the guy just about could get the hatch to actually latch.

I did not realize how heavy that box in the frame was and it was a lucky thing I could back up to the porch and slide it out onto it, then wrestle it the rest of the way into the house. Ditto with the futon. I'm guessing it took me a lot longer to get my frame put together than it did to put your sofa together. Even with fairly good directions and tools included! I empathize with your husband and stuffing the cushions - I'd bot a cover for the futon and that was the last bit of the wrestling match working it onto that mattress. It was a six-pack job, my husband would have said, although I managed to keep it to less beers than that - lol. But seriously, I am getting pretty tired of so many pieces of furniture these days needing to be assembled by the buyer. It may reduce the costs to both buyer and company but I long for the days of better service.

It's a nifty couch you've got there though. Love that area rug!