Friday, September 22, 2017

FIBER JUNKIES - SEPT. MEETING - PART 3

 Last month I had a lot of success over-dyeing previous surface design 'failures' with indigo....

This month it was Kate's turn to fall in love with indigo as a rescue medium.
 Here's her first piece - right out of the dye pot. It's piece of cotton that had been decorated with wax (ala batik).
Look at this masterpiece as it dries.
 This is a piece of cotton homespun that was a result of our decolorant play day that I made sometime ago. It was sprinkled with powdered bleach. Pretty awful. But Kate, who loves to rescue failures, accepted it at that time.....and it's being brought back to a FJ meeting to get transformed.
 She folded it on the diagonal....
 Here's another one of my pieces I foisted off on Kate, AFTER at least two surface design attempts.  It started as an ugly grey pin dot print.
 One of the techniques was mono-printing with acrylic paint using this lace/ribbon frame.
Look how great they turned out after Kate indigo dyed them.  AND....gave them back to me!!!
 She got so enthused....she took of her white cover-up shirt, knotted and secured with rubber bands.......
 And dyed!!  We all started examining what we were wearing to see what else could be dipped!!
 She did so much dyeing.....these community gloves fell apart when she took them off.
This is my favorite....another piece I turned over to Kate....which was once a white on white table cloth....that had been ice-dyed (I think....not really sure but it was ugly).  Now...look at this gem after indigo-dyeing!

Stay with me.....one more post to go.....


4 comments:

Linda M said...

Ah, the Fiber Junkies, what fabulous things you ladies do!

Mary in Boulder said...

Very cool results. Makes me want to spend some time dying.

Robbie said...

It's nice that you show your 'so called failures' and how they can be transformed! Another fun time, right!

Norma Schlager said...

What fun and what great results!