Wednesday, September 23, 2015

NEW WOOL WORK - PART 2

….Continuing the saga of this new wool piece........
The colors and texture of the fabric gave the impression of fall.  So I set out to create leaves to enhance the design of the fabric.  A clear piece of plastic and a magic marker allowed me to preview the shape and placement.
Normally I use a dry erase marker when auditioning motifs, but because I wanted to transfer the design, a traditional marker worked better for this approach as it stays fairly wet.
I placed a piece of lightweight paper over the leaves drawn on the plastic to transfer their shapes.....they will now be my templates.  Sure they are rough shapes.....but for my purpose; to make needle lace leaves, that was fine.
I retraced the shapes onto a piece of water soluble stabilizer.
Okay, I know what you are thinking....Mary doesn't like to free motion stitch....and you'd be right.  But it had to be done.  So, the shapes were outlined and then filled in using rayon embroidery thread.
Well......that wasn't too bad.....I did it!  But, yikes.....it took a lot of time and I had how many more planned???

Come back tomorrow and see the progress........  

2 comments:

Kathy said...

Love making those type of leaves, but it DOES take forever! It will be worth it in the end though, I'm sure!

Windy Hill Happenings said...

You did a great job with the leaves...anxious to see the finished piece.