Back in February, I took an 'art camp' trip to the Phoenix area where three of us met up in a friend's home. I can't tell you what a nice break the sunny, warm AZ weather was in the midst of winter...not to mention how great it was to indulge in quilt talk for 3 days!
One day we played around with mono printing....here some of our masterpieces are drying.
This piece is one of mine that spoke to me.
We agreed to do a 12" square challenge....deadline is our 2014 'art camp'. Ya, I know....but I'm NOT a procrastinator..... I hope Nan and Sue don't read this cause it will spoil the surprise....but oh well...it's done and I wanna share it with you. RULES: 12" square & 75% must be any of the mono print fabric.
I decided to turn my challenge into a door sign for Nan's studio. After searching the internet for an appropriate font, I printed this cactus font onto commercial fabric.After stabilizing my background piece which had been printed on lightweight burlap type fabric, the text section was fused in place, along with two cactus images.
No surprise here....the beads came out..... BUT...I didn't like how the cactus looked so I took the bugle beads off.
.....and replaced them with stacks of seed beads.Here's the finished piece. The smaller catus was treated with long threads. It's backed simply with another piece of my mono printed fabric, the edges are frayed and the layers are held together with random big stitching.
Now I await our gathering in 2014......