Friday, October 31, 2008

BATTING TIP

At a recent fiber arts meeting, the subject of batting came up.  Actually, one of the questions I'm asked the most is, "What kind of batting do you use?"

My favorite batting manufacturer is Hobbs Bonded Fibers.  I've been using their products for over 15 years.   


Thermore is ultra-thin, non-bearding (and I mean NON-bearding!!!), 100% polyster which provides a surprising amount of loft when quilted.  It's my batting of choice for clothing and smaller projects because it doesn't add bulk but it's strong enough to hold up to the rigors of my embellishments.  

For larger quilts I use Hobb's Heirloom - Harriet Hargave helped to develop this 80/20 batting.  The cotton helps to maintain the flat look, and the polyster adds strength.

Anita Heady prefers to purchase her batting on a roll and commented that the last batch of wool she bought appeared to have an uneven surface and wouldn't lay flat. When she said it was a Hobb's product, I knew that 'if' there was a manufacturing problem.....they'd make it right.  So I gave her the name of my contact.

She reports the following:  Lightly spritz the batting in water and toss in the dryer on medium for 10 mins.  This trick works for the silk and 90/20 battings as well.

It's a nice trick to remember when you decide to sandwich a quilt and forgot to lay out the batting for 24 hrs. to let it relax!

1 comment:

Anita Heady Fiber Arts, LLC said...

Thanks for passing the word, Mary. Hobbs wool batting has a wonderful, fluid drape and even more so after it is washed. It's also light, and because it's a natural fiber, it's warm in winter and cool in summer.
I hope to see you Tuesday.
Anita