Thursday, September 4, 2008

ANTIQUE QUILTS

We've gotten acquainted with a lovely couple, whose family lived here in these mountains for generations.  They are building a 'eco friendly' home on 3 lots in our community shortly....and in the process of selling their home in town, they are selling his mother's rural home. 

Apparently, she never threw anything away.  And isn't that a good thing....  My friend brought 3 of the dozen or more quilts they now have, asking restoration and preservation advice.  I'm certainly not an expert, but all in all they look to be in pretty good shape with astonishingly bright colors.  

I spotted feed sack and 30's design fabrics, as well as some older vintages.  All the bindings need attention, some - like the fan quilt below have patches that have deteriorated and will need a 'patch' job, clearly the use of vintage fabrics would be desirable.

If anyone know of a quilter who specializes in restoring quilts such as these, please connect with me.  I believe I have the know how to repair the quilts.....probably not the time nor the proper fabric.  Any help would be appreciated.





No comments: