Thursday, July 9, 2020

WHAT IS ART??

Let me say, really, I'm not being sassy, closed minded, or envious (criticism can often be based in envy)....but I truly don't get this.

Christie’s launched the full offering of From the Studio, a dedicated selection of 17 works, which have been generously donated by leading contemporary artists to benefit amfAR’s newly launched Fund to Fight COVID-19. This special grouping will be included in the Post-War and Contemporary Art Day sale, which is taking place on July 10 in New York. 
                                         

Rashid Johnson (b. 1977), Untitled Anxious Red Drawing. Signed 'Rashid Johnson' (on the reverse) oil on cotton rag, 19 ¾ x 15 (50.2 x 38.1 cm.) Painted in 2020. Estimate: USD 20,000 - USD 30,000. © Christie's Images Ltd 2020.   

The photo and text was published in ArtDaily Newsletter.

Perhaps the estimated value of as high as $30,000 is based on the cause to which this piece has been donated?  If not, I may give up quilting and grab white cloth, a red crayon, close my eyes and start creating new work!

What do you think....what am I missing???

8 comments:

Nancy said...

Oh my. $30,000 you say? Oh my.

The Inside Stori said...

Yes, auction estimates are $20,000 to $30,000!!!

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I'm with you, I just don't get it. Maybe he has a reputation for selling at those prices....

The Inside Stori said...

Wanda of Exuberant Color has a good point....perhaps this artist has a track record in the price ranges mentioned....but still!!

Anonymous said...

This mystifies me in the same way as the art I saw at the MOMA in NYC a few years ago. I was a plain white canvas. Not a mark on it. Also displayed was "One Red Line" a white canvas with one red line. Donna Akins

Robbie said...

I had already formed my opinion of this 'art work' before I read your article. Hmmmmmmmmmmm Guess beauty is in the 'eye of the beholder'....just not in my eye!

Kathie Briggs said...

For some reason he is a current darling of the critics. Think Andy Warhol maybe with less to say. I don't get it either,

The Idaho Beauty said...

It's this sort of thing that makes one wonder why one works so hard to make one's art. . . and for so little monetary gain.

Also puts me in mind of those fads of animal-made "art" (like the elephant given a brush) and toddler-made "art".

I guess I'd rather be appreciated for my skill and care in expressing my artistic expressions.