Sunday, July 26, 2020

REAL LIFE

As promised....here's a snapshot of life in the mountains.....

 We often have weird mold spores pop up that grow almost overnight and disappear nearly as quickly.  Sometimes plants here seem to grow just as quickly, which was my first reaction after seeing this. But I know these spores die out within 24-48 hrs. and surely the decorative grass didn't grow that much overnight?  The mass was on the ground in a ditch right by our mailbox the day before, so I suspect the torrential rain we had later that day pushed it up the grass stems.  Weird, right?!?     

I spotted this a couple of days ago in nearly the same place that our black lab Sooty (to our total shock) pounced on another smaller black snake a few days before.  She had it in her jaw for just a second.....I think she was shocked too that she caught it (she's an awesome mole hunter).  This snake was HUGE...we thought it was dead since it didn't move when we walk up close to peer intently.  However, upon our return home from our afternoon forced march, it was gone....creepy.

5 comments:

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

I've never seen anything like that yellow stuff. We have a large black snake that lives around here somewhere, and I am happy to have him. When he showed up, we stopped having mice in the attic.

The Inside Stori said...

I don't know what that yellowish mold is either but we see it here quite often.....only for a day or two...then it turns brown and dissipates. We wondered what the snake had for lunch with all those bumps along his body. Hopefully mice....not growing more baby snakes!!!

Nancy said...

Loud screeeeech for the snake! I'm a live and let live kind of person when it comes to snakes. But I do not like them in my path, surprising me. And that yellow patch is quite peculiar. I would not have known it was mold spores- it looks like insulation foam. Ah, nature. On one of my walks with our dog, we pass a flowering bush that is just alive with gorgeous butterflies- three or four different kinds. That's my kind of nature.

The Inside Stori said...

Nancy, your nature beats what I've shared for sure!!

Robbie said...

Holy smoke!!!! Actually, the mold spores are kinda cool looking....now the snake is a whole different animal!!!! Yikes!