Tuesday, July 28, 2020

GOTTA ASK AGAIN...IS THIS ART??

Honestly, I'm not being snide when I ask.....is this art?  I'm confounded by this exhibit at the Dia Beacon Museum. 

Dia Beacon is the museum for the Dia Art Foundation's collection of art from the 1960s to the present and is one of the 11 locations and sites they manage. The museum, which opened in 2003, is situated on the banks of the Hudson River in Beacon, New York. 
 Barry Le Va, 4 Layers: Placed, Dropped, Thrown, 1968–71/2019. Detail view, Dia:Beacon, Beacon, New York © Barry Le Va. Photo: Bill Jacobson Studio, New York, courtesy Dia Art Foundation, New York.
Mel Bochner, Measurement Room: No Vantage Point, 1969/2019. Installation view, Dia:Beacon, Beacon, New York. © Mel Bochner. Photo: Bill Jacobson Studio, New York, courtesy Dia Art Foundation, New York.

6 comments:

Kathy said...

I'll ask that question with you! I'm often confounded by what is presented and think it's luck, not art. Someone was in the right place at the right time or a critic was drunk...........I just don't know sometimes!

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Weird. Kind of like the emperor's new clothes!

Nancy said...

It makes me wonder how an art critic might describe it in a column (after nibbling the cheese and crackers and enjoying the wine at the gallery preview). Deeply moving? Dynamic, yet quirky? A triumph of modern day kitsch? A break-through in emotional expression? Hey, I think I could be an art critic!

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I would sure be disappointed if I paid to get in to see exhibits like this.

The Inside Stori said...

I couldn't agree more with all your comments. To say this is an astonishingly bad exhibit doesn't come close to how I really feel.

The Idaho Beauty said...

The first one, perhaps, especially given the title. It set off a lot of thoughts in my head, immediately (and not one of them, is this art?), making me study it longer, ponder, which art is prone to do. The second one, nope.