Monday, July 13, 2020

CHANGING DIRECTIONS

Though I often say mistakes are merely design opportunities....the same can be said for preconceived ideas.  My work is never planned from beginning to end.....sometimes there's a fairly strong mental image of where I'm headed, but most of the time I find 'off ramps' ahead.

For instance, I spent a ridiculous amount of time trying to get this programed stitch not to tunnel the fabric.....finally decided to take the off ramp and head in a new direction.
Instead the texture will be provided by hand embroidery. BUT....of course I didn't have the right color thread..... Store options here in my specific rural mountain area are Walmart, Walmart, Walmart.  Will there even be a wide enough selection to find the right color....I think not.  Perhaps I'll have to take a chance with shopping online.....
 But for now I can work on the top section of this small stylized tree design.

6 comments:

Kathy said...

Hold on! Put that perfectionism in the closet for a minute and think contrast, shading, variegation, and done! Online shopping when trying to color match is a crap shoot, too, and maybe it truly does not need to be the perfect shade! Good luck anyway, of course!

The Inside Stori said...

Oh I hear ya Kathy....I'm not seeking an exact thread color match...but I do want one that will blend since I plan to add grass details as another layer and I don't want this bottom one of conflict.....esp. since it's a rather small space. Your advice and caution to me to break free of my perfectionism is always appreciated. Perhaps I didn't explain my quest well enough on this particular post....but of course....that type A personality of mine always lurks!

Nancy said...

The background piece is lovely. Hand stitched details will make this a truly rich piece.

Nancy said...

And for thread/floss, have you seen the Wonderfil line of #8 and #5 Perle cottons? They are so nice. A Canadian company with some US online outlets, including Sue Spargo I believe.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

Did you use a stabilizer under your fabric when you did that stitching? That will keep it from tunneling. Also spraying with fabric sizer if you don't want to pick out stabilizer.

The Inside Stori said...

Yes Wanda I did, my go to stabilizer is a lightweight Pellon non-fusible, adhered with spray adhesive (despite not liking to use that product it!). I also tried Sizing, Terial Magic, Hobb's Thermore batting (another favorite of mine but not necessarily for machine embroidery stitches, tension adjustments.....not sure what gremlins were at work but it just didn't work. Even changed weight of thread and needle...... I appreciate your skilled advice!!