Tuesday, April 14, 2020

TWINS?!?

Did you know I had an identical twin sister?  Funny thing, despite being dressed alike till we were able to select our own clothes.....we always thought we were fraternal twins.  Yet, we did look very much alike.  

According to the birth certificates....we were 'multiple births....baby A & B, but somewhere along the way, the notion that we were identical was lost or never known. (Hard to believe right??)  It wasn't until my sister acquired AML in very late 2001 and almost immediately it was decided a bone marrow transplant would be her only hope that we learned new information.

My two brothers and I were underwent preliminary blood tests for compatibility. My results were so perfect the doctors began to have questions.  So a full DNA test was ordered for me, yup we were actually identical twins!  

Strangly it would have been better for her if we were a match, but not identical since the concern then was that my bone marrow/stem cells would be too close to hers and the cancer could overcome them.  This isn't a clinical explanation...rather one that is more easily understood.
 Mary on left Nancy on right....baby brother Chuck in center....taken about 1952.
My memory growing up was always of a sister by my side.....up until about when we were in high school...but even then we shared a room and did a lot together.

I hope more of you are going through your photos and enjoying good memories!!  

3 comments:

Nancy said...

Isn't it interesting how your birth was categorized. Are you the only twins in your family line? I was always fascinated by the event held in Twinsburg, OH (I think that's where it was) that celebrated those "multiple births".

The Inside Stori said...

It's Mary here....Yes, we were/are the only twins on both sides of our family. We all think it was strange that they didn’t know whether we were from 1 or two eggs. My sister’s doctor explained that their have been many twin studies…..and even though my sister and I didn’t look exactly alike he said DNA doesn’t lie….we were identical, period!

Robbie said...

I know you have posted about your sister...this is so sweet and glad you shared this info with your readers!