Tuesday, June 11, 2019

DESIGN PROCESS CONTINUED.....

.......The collage background was a tad fussier to piece because the majority of the deconstructed screen printed fabrics were polished cotton.  That fabric printed with beautiful color and detail, but it's flimsy and difficult to work with. It wasn't long before I grabbed spray sizing to help to tame it somewhat.
 Top now pieced - about 33" x 20"
 The top is still more unstable then I'd like (that darn polished cotton!!), so I went ahead and added batting and straight line quilting to provide additional texture and strength.
 The vertical lines of quilting were stitched at varying widths from one another.
Now that the background is finished, more than an hour went into digging through my stash to find what I hope will be the right choice for main motif elements.  The plan is to use only 1....which one do you think I picked?

9 comments:

Kathy said...

Okay, I'll play! I think you went with the one in the center because it has the most contrast. My choice would have been the one on the left because it's so beautiful! Love this piece.

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

I agree, the middle one for the same reason as Kathy.

Nancy said...

So much to look at in the background alone- it's very pretty. I'll guess the fabric on the right, though we don't know what your elements will be yet. I have not worked with polished cotton- did not realize it lacked body. Challenge!

Shirlee Fassell said...

I am with Nancy the one on the right although I might change my mind once a all the motifs were auditioned!

The Inside Stori said...

It's Mary here......I couldn't agree more with Nancy and Shirlee.....the shape/size of the design elements have such an impact on which fabric to select.....a sneak preview of upcoming post....my first selection was the wrong fabric!! Grrrrrr..... Onward....

Linda M said...

What a great background!

The Idaho Beauty said...

I surely recognize your design process as it is so similar to mine. And indeed, pieces of fabric do somehow have a voice, get impatient, demand attention! I like how this is coming together. As for which green to pick, my first reaction was positively toward the one on the left. But then I wondered if it was too busy and would get lost in the background once cut up. So that shifted my thinking over to the green on the right. Maybe I'm being unduly biased against the dark one in the middle. I suppose it depends on what shapes you are going to cut them into.

Laura said...

My vote is for the one on the left. No matter which one you choose I know I'll like what you did with it. it's always fun to see what others do.

Anonymous said...

Love watching this piece take birth. My first inclination is the center fabric for value contrast. Looking forward to seeing what you do next.