Thursday, June 13, 2019

CONTINUING - DESIGN PROCESS

Part 4 -  Creating a wall art quilt - from start to finish.....

At last....I'm satisfied with the tree motifs which are pinned in position to the quilt top on my design wall.

I came up with a clever trick numerous years ago when working on a piece that required precision placement of its many small design elements.  Rather than trying to move work this size to a pressing surface and hoping nothing shifts (of course it will), I use a Clover mini-iron to tack each piece in place. Once the elements are temporarily secured, the entire piece is transferred to a large pressing surface and permanently fused together. 
Here's another trick to use when machine appliqueing to avoid those pesky frayed threads along the edge of a fused motif.  Before machine stitching, use a tiny paint brush to coat the edge of the applique with Fray Block - a June Tailor product. Batiks don't fray as easily, but being hyper fussy about high quality workmanship, it's my standard procedure no matter what fabric I'm working with. I learned about this product from my pal Linda Cantrell....well known for her detailed humorous 
appliqué quilts.  
With matching thread, I've machine appliqued each section.  The machine is equipped with an open toe embroidery foot and programed with  a narrow blanket stitch.
Again, being the control freak I am about tidy workmanship, I pull the beginning and ending thread ends on each and every section to the wrong side and tie off. Yes, it's very time consuming....and it's just another example of why it can take me so much time to create a quality wall art quilt.

It's almost finished.....stay tuned for the rest....

4 comments:

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Wow, love it!! That you are fussy about workmanship is not a surprise, your pieces are fabulous.

Nancy said...

Yes! Those leaves are perfect on this. Those unacquainted with quilting/sewing would never guess the detail and effort that goes into even a small quilt! Your workmanship sets a standard! Tying off every section truly is time consuming, but will prevent thread ends and add to durability in the long run.

Laura said...

I love the visual balance you have created. The background fabric combination makes the piece so interesting. Thanks for the tip about using a small paintbrush for that fray check. I had almost given up on it as it tends to flow too quickly for me. I pull threads to the back as well, because it does look more tidy. Have a wonderful rest of your creative day.

Robbie said...

Love seeing this process!!!!! It's stunning!!!!!