Sunday, June 16, 2019

CONTINUING - DESIGN PROCESS - Facing & label

Part 6 -  Creating a wall art quilt - from start to finish.....
I'm now in the finishing phase so today we will look at how I finished the edge and created the label for this piece.
*Note - if you've missed the other posts, scroll back to see the entire process.
Some quilts benefit from a clean finish edge, rather than the addition of a binding.  4 - 2" wide strips are needed.  2 strips are cut 2" shorter in length than the vertical measurement & 2 are cut 2" longer than the width of the piece.  I've pressed a 1/4" hem on each.  Starting with the sides: match raw edges, right sides together & sew with a 1/4" seam.  
Before attaching the horizontal strips, press each side strip to the outside and stay stitch 1/8" from the seam line as shown.  This will make it easier and tidier to turn the facing to the wrong side.
 Stay stitching is completed and it's ready to turn to the back side of the quilt.
(Viewed from wrong side)....only the thinnest amount of the quilt top will be visible after turning and pressing the facing to the back. 

 I find it easier to get sharp corners if I take the time to turn, press, and hand sew the side facings before the last two facing strips are sewn.  Once that's complete, repeat with the remaining strips.  When hand sewing these last two strips, turn in the excess fabric at the corners.

NOW....let's look at how I create my LABELS.
 My labels are printed onto fabric using an Espon printer fitted with Durabright ink.  I've created a master form in my word processing file which can be changed with each new quilt.  Though I'm not a big fan of spray adhesive, I find it a good tool for this task.  A rough cut piece of fabric is sprayed lightly on the wrong side and adhered to a piece of card stock.  In this case I used a piece shorter than the length of the paper, the edges have been trimmed to size. Painters tape is secured to the top edge to keep the fabric in place as it's grabbed by the printer's rollers. 
 I sign it before removing from the card stock.
 Next it's peeled away from the card stock, heat set, fused with a paper-back fusible to the wrong side, and rotary cut using a wavy edge blade.

Finally the paper backing is removed and the label is fused to the back of the quilt.

One last step is necessary before calling this piece complete.  Come back and check out my method of creating a fabric hanging sleeve.

4 comments:

Sherrie Spangler said...

Thanks for sharing these methods. I especially like your label treatment and all of the info you include on it.

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

You have matched that print so well on the back that I couldn't figure out how it worked for a minute or two! Lovely.

The Inside Stori said...

I don't always intentionally match the facing print on the back, but I do try to blend the prints if I can. Because I had a lot of this particular fabric I decided to use it without thinking that it may not be the best photo op to illustrated my method. Hey, it will make viewers look harder!

The Inside Stori said...

Thank you Joan...you appear to be a no-reply blogger so I can't personally send my graditute for your kind words!