Monday, February 25, 2019

FELT-WOOL MINI-NOTEBOOK COVERS

My wet felting wool supplies are now packed up as I shift my attention to making notebook covers.
Here's a look at one of the newest bowls that will be added to my inventory for sale.  My generous SIL gave me a nice collection of sea glass she'd gathered in her younger days along the shores of Lake Michigan where she grew up.  I've found them to be the perfect accent for these organic vessels.
The recent dive into making mini-notebook covers led me to eyeing a stack of felted wool fabrics that had been altered during the many Fiber Junkies play days.  This one features painted pine needle impressions.  The spine was made from an ice-dyed piece of bamboo/rayon felt.
This winter the FJ's worked with paint quite a lot.....printing fabrics with all sorts of tools and techniques.  As is often the case, I work with felted wool....which can be challenging due to the texture of the material. The marbled appearance of two of them was derived from a shaving cream printing session we had a couple of months ago.

Next I'll be digging into my stash of eco-printed felted wool....hoping I can find some pieces suitable for covers!

6 comments:

Kathy said...

Wonderful use for those fabrics. Hope they sell like crazy!

Nancy said...

These are wonderful, Mary! I love how the shaving cream marbling looks. And the button closures are a nice touch. Thanks for visiting my blog, too. Looking forward to the eco-print notebooks you make next. These little notebooks are perfect for showcasing a great fabric.

MB Baker said...

I follow your blog faithfully for years since seeing your work at Piedmont Arts in Martinsville VA. I always enjoy seeing what you are doing! Love to addition of the seaglass to your felted bowls. Last summer I was in Black Mountain and skipped over to see your work at the gallery in Asheville. Thank you for being such a source of inspiration and information.

The Inside Stori said...

WOW.......I'm so flattered.......thank you!!

Robbie said...

WOW...the felted bowls are wonderful! Unique...love the sea glass addition!!! You're still my idol!!! I can't imagine felting!!!! Mini notebooks are cool and will certainly sell!

The Idaho Beauty said...

Love the addition of embellishment on the bowl. And what a good use for the felt. I bet it's nice to have a little extra heft to the covers.