Tuesday, September 11, 2018

TOO STUBBORN !!!

 DRAT.....why didn't I listen to that little voice??  Now I'm not only second guessing....I'm struggling to find a way to make this new piece work.
 My biggest sellers are the Asian style patchwork quilts I've been making (who knew??)  They are totally not in my normal wheelhouse but I can't ignore their success.  So, here's another one and clearly I didn't have the right fabrics to do what I wanted.  I can't tell you how many different sashing fabrics I tried.....
 Because the two bigger blocks are quite a bit darker, I went with black. After that decision was made, the blocks were rearranged on my design wall and I liked this look and actually considered using an off white.  But again, the concern over the two bigger darker blocks led me back to choosing a two tone black print.
My piecing process is probably the slowest anyone has...but I find it so much easier to keep track of the patchwork that way while having half an ear and eye on trash Bravo TV shows!  I cut strips and position them, take them down one block at a time, sew, press and put that block back...ya I know.....why not chain piece....??!?
 So....all along I KNEW those dark blocks didn't work but I kept talking myself into using them, wanting the diversity instead of using blocks all the same size.  Too stubborn and now regretting it!
 Yup, the more I did, the more I realized this didn't work....big sigh.
 To help balance the color contrast I added black circles in each corner square.  Perhaps that helped but not enough.
Now, compare this last photo to the one above. Oil pastels in about 4 colors were used to lighten the two larger blocks. I'm trying to talk myself into saying this is okay....but know it isn't.  I'm guessing my 2 AM thought will confirm my current instinct....to add a larger black border or ditch the two bigger blocks and go the more boring route...blocks all the same size.  

Dare I ask...what do you think?? 

9 comments:

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

I like the asymmetry, but I see your dilemma. Would it help to add one more dark square in place of one of the light ones in the lower left for balance?

Shirlee Fassell said...

Lighting the larger blocks definitely made a difference. I am a matchie matchie kind of girl and I would move the upper large block to the left so the large blocks were balanced.

Nancy said...

You had a true "make it work" moment, and you did! Lightening the blocks up was a great idea. I'm thinking because it didn't go where you expected or wanted it to, that you are critiquing it more than a first-time viewer would. It's actually quite dramatic and beautiful. I bet it sells!

Anonymous said...

I like your design, but agree that the two large blocks need something. What if you were to add a piping/flange between the block and the sashing. It could be quite small, but in a color to give those two blocks some added attention. If you decide to add another border, you could repeat the piping/flange idea or just before the binding.
From a fellow cheesehead. What did you think of the game?

The Inside Stori said...

Thank you all for your great suggestions....sometimes we get too close to our work and can't be objective anymore. What I really need to do is move on to another project for awhile but I need a back up piece for in case my other big one sells at Woolworth or at the Arboretum exhibit.....so I'm pressing on.

Anonymous - funny you should suggest a flange....I tried out several very narrow flat piping option but all that did was draw attention to the color differences. Now that I lightened the two blocks....I may revisit that idea.

Ann Scott said...

I think lightening the two large blocks was a great idea. I like the setting; it causes a second look.

On another note: I hope you are safe from the storm.

Marilyn Nelson said...

I’m not an expert, but I would put the two large darker pieces in the middle and have the lighter ones frame it, as it is now the direction the birds are flying take your eye away from anything else. Just my two cents. Good luck.

The Inside Stori said...

Such good suggestion keep pouring in........as of this afternoon, I am finishing the top and calling it 'good enough'. Not an attitude I ever really adopt but there are times when you do what you can and then move on. Photo coming soon...

Robbie said...

Personally I think it looks great! Pastels worked and I love the addition of the circles...stop, drop and go back to Bravo TV and sandwich this bugger. Looks great!!! You're overthinking it! That's my 2 cents worth! HA