I'd brought along some pale cotton prints to over-dye. This one was accordion pleated and as you can see, not very successfully dyed but I did love the color.Our last Fiber Junkies meeting's focus was transfer printing. I am not keen about the process we use as the fabric is generally stiffer than I prefer to work with. However, Kate (thank you, thank you) insisted I do at least one....providing me with a cactus image and a piece of rust dyed fabric.
This is the result. AND...talk about a perfect piece for my current project!VIEW 1. believe it or not, 4 different ice-dyed fabrics have been incorporated into this piece. Ice-dyeing yields such unique designs and colors....it's amazing that 2 of the 4 had been made at least 2 years ago, yet still coordinated with the current batch.
View 2 - The 'plan', though I didn't map it out on paper or computer was to make a smaller piece to more easily fit into my gallery space at Woolworth Walk in Asheville. AND.... to utilize as much of the fabric as possible, some being smaller, odd size shapes. Since I still had a limited amount of fabric left, a final row was added to the top.
View 3 - I'd considered adding circles to these designs before but hadn't quite figured out how best to do that, until now. The cactus fabric seemed like it would be perfect to feature. The front of the fabric actually blended in too well, so here you see the back of that fabric instead.
The finishing touches are being done today....stay tuned.