We were all so looking forward to our first 2017 FJ gathering at Val's house....where we are treated with our own tables/space to work in her garage studio. Val graciously hosts us from Spring to Fall, and we literally take over her house as well.....
Unfortunately, we've experienced a prolonged spell of rain and coolish weather, requiring us to nix our plans for deconstructive screen printing, fearing the screens wouldn't dry in a timely manner.But heavens.....that doesn't stop the FJ's from playing with thickened dyes. We all kinda just did our own thing....mostly mono-printing, stamping, and fabric painting. Denny had brought this textured roller that I FELL in love with....it gives the appearance of strings wrapped around the hard rubber cylinder.
Instead of beginning with soda ash treated white fabric, I brought a stack of previously dyed (in various manners) fabrics that I wasn't keen about. Denny's adage of 'if you don't like it.....add more', was my motto for the day.
Instead of working with so many different dye colors....which often yields fabrics that may be wonderful, but don't seem to coordinate with anything else I own, I decided to work exclusively (we'll almost anyway) with Indigo dye.
Here's a scrap of felted wool that had gotten lightly stained so it was getting a do-over. Roadside foliage was placed directly onto the wool.It was covered with a silk screen and the dye was pressed through. Unfortunately it didn't penetrate as evenly or well as it should have....look, the foliage hardly appears discolored.
Here is the result.....not wonderful. Which actually became my theme for the day......not wonderful results.The next attempt was a previously rejected dyed cotton piece. Yee gads!
But here it is after batching and washing.....fairly usable.
Another mess that was worked using leaves and a fern stamp. I didn't like the way the stamped fern looked, so in an attempt to 'fix' it....I got mud.
BUT...you never know....after batching and washing....I was surprised. Both these pieces are similar in color....neither are good enough to work as whole pieces, but will most certainly get cut up and incorporated into future work.
Lot's of stamping went on.....this nice piece is Judy's.Denny, always the innovator of our group.....smeared thickened dye onto plastic and then printed white fabric. Great idea to generate textured backgrounds.
Kate was using some of our 'group collection' of resists....dabbing paints on and around them.
Val used a rubber scrapper, applying paint in a landscape orientation. She ALWAYS makes it look so easy.....and has developed her own unique signature to her designs.
Judy had great success printing ferns. She applied paint to a fern, placed it on the fabric and covered with Plexiglas. The image transferred from the pressure of running a hard rubber roller over the surface.
Denny, (as I said...the master of layering designs) used stencils, resists, and a polka dot roller for this piece.
Kate too was using some of her 'failed' previously deconstructed screen printed fabric. I love what she's done here; printing a fern and using the edge of a credit card to depict more foliage.
We all went home with transformed fabric....some real successes, others candidates for another 'do-over'. Deconstructed screen printing is on our agenda for June....and we can't wait!!!