Friday, December 11, 2015

MOSSY GARDEN - PATCHWORK LAP QUILT

I had a request for a lap quilt from a family member. Her preferred colors were mossy green, pale yellow, rust, light blue....check, check check......I had all of them! 
.....or so I thought.....having the specific color didn't mean I had enough of each!!  Right from the start I worried about running short, esp. the background leafy green batik.  That's why I cut and arranged all the strips on my design wall before stitching them together.

That was a good decision as I was ever so short of the green batik.....and had to make it stretch by reversing the fabric placement on 5 blocks....seen below.  I hoped it might add a certain zip/interest to the quilt but it didn't.  Happily, I don't think it adversely affected the look either. 

Mossy Garden - 48.5" x64.5"

It's probably been a busy week in most studios....so check out these links to see what others have been working on:  Whoop, Whoop Friday, Nina-Marie's Off The Wall Friday, Richard & Tanya Quilts, Sew Crazy Mom

6 comments:

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

That is quite a cool quilt! I love the graphic effect!

Lara B. said...

The reversed fabric placement is really cool Mary. The change up gives the quilt more of an artistic look. Love it!

Robbie said...

As always...a stunner! Love the arrangement!!! Colors are my favorite...I'm an earth tone kind of gal.

Sherrie Spangler said...

I like the way your color arrangement makes the two strips in each block "float." Very nice.

margaret said...

colours that I thought would not have worked have worked a treat great quilt

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't have known it wasn't on purpose if you didn't tell. Lovely lap quilt.